Cloud-to-ground lightning has killed an average of 27 people annually in the U.S. over the past 10 years, according to NOAA.. Of the 400 lightning fatalities logged between 2006 and 2019, 40 of the victims had been out fishing, like Brendan McGowan and Kaitlyn Rosensteel, who were killed by a lightning … For more information, visit Lightning Strikes: Information for Workers. About 10% of people who are struck by lightning are killed, leaving 90% with various degrees of disability. Lightning is a major cause of storm related deaths in the United States, NWS says. The majority of work-related lightning strikes occur in Florida and Texas, two states where seasonal lightning deaths and injuries are high. Other. The statistic shows the number of deaths and injuries due to lightning in the United States from 1995 to 2019. In the last 10 years (2009-2018), the U.S. has averaged 27 lightning fatalities a year. Solid line shows lightning deaths per million people, and dashed line shows percent rural population (López and Holle 1998). Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed his condolences after lightning strikes and thunderstorms in Bihar killed 83 people, injured many and caused … Males are five times more likely than females to be struck by lightning; around 85% of lightning fatalities are men. 06:09 PM, July 06, 2019 / LAST MODIFIED: 06:14 PM, July 06, 2019. Sharp rise in deaths by lightning strikes; 126 killed in May-June . File photo of a lightning strike UNB, Dhaka. Annual time series for the US from 1900 to 1991.
2020 lightning deaths 2019